As professionals, we sometimes forget...
Trying to pick out what to wear can be a nightmare, especially when tasked with the reminder that you will be looking at that outfit forever. That outfit will be tied to the memory of the moment, so, you know, no pressure. But have no fear! I have compiled a little help for you to ease your mind before our shoot. Take a deep breath. It's actually probably going to be a little bit fun!
- Don't be afraid to utilize trendy items. You may be afraid that it will instantly date the images, but choosing things like animal prints, sequins, wrap dresses, black clothing, or patterns can be timeless. If you have a child who is really into Dora, maybe offer to bring an item like a backpack instead of dressing them in a branded t-shirt.
- Different patterns are okay! Utilize smaller scaled patterns for a group photo as the smaller scale is easier to blend. If you're wanting bold portraits (families should be represented accurately, and some families are BOLD!) a large scale pattern in a limited capacity is for sure the way to go.
- Keep it real. You don't need to go on a special shopping trip for your shoot. Keep it comfortable, anything too stiff or formal will be visible as discomfort the photos, especially with the little ones. Soft cottons or flannels are not only great for photographing, they are much more comfortable and harder to get wrinkled!
- Dresses and skirts are your best friend. Depending on what kind of session we are having, consider how much movement your clothing will provide!
Only a few don'ts
Accessories, they don't bite!
- Long sleeved shirts are totally okay to roll the sleeves on. Show off your new watch, or gorgeous bracelet you FINALLY have an excuse to wear.
- Same with jeans, cuff your pants for a quick style 180.
- If you're having trouble picking a color scheme, look around your home and draw inspiration from some of the colors and vibe you're surrounded in.
- Topknots photograph adorably.
- Light scarves make for a wonderful prop.
- Bring a few pieces to change into. There is nothing worse than getting spit up on before the first image is ever taken, bring a backup (or two, or three).
- Velvet, leather, tweed, and chiffon make for gorgeous textures.